+11
Planned

Allow users to register while creating a new subscription

Rob Weir 1 year ago in BLOX CMS • updated by Rich Griffin | Product Manager (Product Manager) 3 weeks ago 8

Hi there -- our newsroom has been frustrated for awhile with the logic in the subscription module that requires users to register for the newspaper's website before buying a subscription. It's creating a bit of friction when e.g. we want to give out a complimentary subscription to an advertiser or other user, and is also a difficult workflow for some of our users if they don't get a confirmation email for registration. 

I understand the logic of registration being different from subscription status; and I also understand the internal logic of someone needing a registration before they buy a subscription. However, I'm wondering if the subscription page could be streamlined, either to allow people to register while buying a subscription or to create a user registration record as part of a new subscription (that is, prompt for a username when purchasing a subscription). 

Thoughts on that? 

+3

I agree. I can't tell you how many times someone has said "I subscribed but I don't have access." I check and they only set up a username and password.

+2

Great idea. Most websites allow you to create your user account during the checkout process so it is a process most people would be familiar with.

+1

Yes! I agree on this! This would help us a lot.  We also get people saying they subscribed but don't have access. 

I've seen something like this on a site I believe to be built on TN. Is this a custom feature we can request?

We've had several users complain recently that we were pulling a bait-and-switch with the two part account and subscription process.

Streamlining it into a single page would alleviate this.

+1

So, so, so critical. We are in the Facebook Membership Accelerator and we are literally building an off-site workaround to eliminate this friction. If somebody wants to give you their money, you should be able to take it as simply and cleanly as possible.

Planned

Reducing friction as part of purchase workflow is something that we are focused on going forward. We do indeed have plans for workflow options to include registering as part of purchase. Keep an eye out for announcements early next year. There are changes coming!